The third generation of BMW’s 1 Series was launched in 2019, with the chassis name F40. For the performance range topping F40, BMW revived the ‘M135i’ moniker, sporting BMW’s B48 2 litre, 4-cylinder engine. The M135i is shipped from the factory with a muted exhaust sound leading to a very disappointing driving experience. Along with increased performance, Cobra Sport were keen to put the emotion back into the drive with an improved aural and emotional driving experience.
Cobra Sport opted for 3”/76.2mm stainless steel pipework for the biggest upgrade in terms of performance, flow rate and sound levels. The free-flowing Cobra Sport exhaust setup completely transforms the vehicle and will open up the future tuning possibilities of the BMW M135i (F40).
During the design stages, Cobra Sport made sure that all of the configurations are interchangeable so that customers can add to their system over the coming years. Most will start with the PPF back configuration which can be fitted without the need for any engine tuning as it keeps the stock catalyst and PPF in place (MOT compliant). Adding a PPF delete section would create the cat back setup and customers going down the tuning route can add a high flow sports catalyst or de-cat front pipe to create a full turbo back setup.
For those who want to significantly improve sound levels, Cobra Sport offers their unique rear silencer delete range. This exhaust setup removes the rear silencer to offer the biggest sound increase whilst keeping a sporty exhaust tone (+13.1dB in PPF back rear silencer delete configuration). The Cobra Sport team were able to reduce the weight of the exhaust system by an impressive 49% over the OEM system with the PPF back rear silencer delete system weighing in at only 9.02kg compared to the original 17.8kg.
Cobra Sport have improved the styling of the BMW M135i, creating a noticeably enhanced and balanced look to the rear of the M135i with a choice of dual 4” (101.6mm) and 4.5” (114.3mm) slash cut highly polished stainless-steel tailpipes. For those looking to take the style upgrade a stage further, upgraded carbon fibre tailpipes are available.
Like all Cobra Sport exhausts, the M135i F40 exhausts are TIG-welded from high-quality T304 stainless steel and the mandrel pipework is a full 3” (76.2mm) in diameter for maximum sound and tuning potential.
View full BMW M135i information and pricing on our product pages > Cobra Sport M135i F40 Performance Exhausts
The BMW M135i F40 performance exhaust configuration options are as follows:
- PPF Back – Pipework attaching to the Petrol Particulate Filter and continuing to the rear of the vehicle. (Factory Catalytic Converter and PPF retained)
- Cat Back – Pipework deleting the PPF Filter and attaching to the Catalytic Converter and continuing to the rear of the vehicle. (Factory Catalytic Converter retained but deleting the PPF - ECU Remap Required – Off-road use only)
- Turbo Back – Pipework attaching to the Turbo via a Downpipe (Sports Catalyst and De-Cat options both available) and continuing to the rear of the vehicle. (Factory Catalytic Converter and PPF deleted allowing for the smoothest possible flow of exhaust gas and sound upgrade - ECU Remaps required, Off-road use only)
- PPF Delete – Pipework to remove the PPF Filter only (ECU Remap Required, Off-road use only)
- Downpipes – To standard exhaust fitment (Sports Cat will allow you to pass MOT emissions tests)